Cottage pie has always been one of my favourite meals. When I was vegetarian I would use Quorn mince. As I’m now vegan Quorn mince is no longer an option so I bought the Sainsbury’s meat free mince, which is suitable for vegans and is also exceptionally tasty. (In my opinion it’s much tastier than Quorn).
To make my cottage pie I use
- One tin of chopped tomatoes (basic brands are absolutely fine)
- 1/2 bag of Sainsbury’s meat free mince.
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1 leek – chopped
- 2 large carrots – chopped
- A cupful of garden peas
- A handful of lentils
- 4 large potatoes (I like to use big baking potatoes because they seem to make the best mash)
- Flora freedom (for mashing)
- Black pepper to taste
- Dried rosemary (not essential)
- Vegan vegetable stock pot.
Bung the tin of tomatoes, the mince, the vegetables and the vegetable stock pot in the slow cooker then add some black pepper and a sprinkle of rosemary.
Put the slow cooker on high for about five hours.
Then make mashed potatoes, adding a good blob of flora freedom and a little black pepper.
Put the mince mixture into a Pyrex dish, top with the mash and bake for 15-20 minutes.
And voila a hearty delicious vegan meal.
The Sainsbury’s meat feee mince is very good. I would give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️