Cottage pie has always been one of my favourite meals. When I was vegetarian I would use Quorn mince. As I’m now vegan Quorn mince is no longer an option so I bought the Sainsbury’s meat free mince, which is suitable for vegans.
To make my cottage pie I use
- One tin of chopped tomatoes (basic brands are absolutely fine)
- 1/2 bag of Sainsbury’s meat free mince.
- 1 red onion – chopped
- 1 leek – chopped
- 1 large carrot – chopped
- Handful of sugar snap peas
- Half a small swede, diced
- A cupful of garden peas
- Handful of red lentils
- 4 large potatoes (I like to use big baking potatoes because they seem to make the best mash)
- Flora freedom (for mashing)
- Black pepper to taste
- Dried rosemary (not essential)
- Vegan gravy powder.
I put the tin of tomatoes, the mince, and the vegetables in the slow cooker and add a mug full of made up gravy then add some black pepper and a sprinkle of rosemary and leave the slow cooker on high for five hours.
Then I make mashed potatoes, adding only a good blob of flora freedom and a little black pepper.
I put the mince mixture into a Pyrex dish, top with the mash and bake for 15-20 minutes.